4.3.06

OU race report

Whew. Hilly. Early season. Bunch of college guys on road bikes racing. Ouch!

Today was painfull and easy all at the same time. Somehow, I did almost no work. At the same time, I did a lot of work on every climb. The intervals over the past two weeks are finally starting to pay off--my legs felt good, and I was the one making the selection on the climbs after 30-40 miles of racing, but the race didn't go as planned. Erik and I had to do a lot of work to stay at the front in the last 3 miles of the race, because there was a solo break up the road just out of sight, so by the time we hit the sprint, the legs were pretty beat. Still, I had good position thanks to a great pull by Erik before the final corner into the 300 meter uphill sprint. I punched it right out of the corner--too early! My sprint faded. I misjedged the legnth of the sprint. Ohhh well....I sill eneded up in the top 10, but I should have been top 3 given my great position into the final corner.

All's good either way. Today was great training--4.5 hours of hilly riding, 2 hours of hilly racing, and lots of 2-3 minute hard efforts. Job well done today.

LET'S GIVE OSU HELL TOMMOROW AT THE CRITERIUM. No more Mt. Nice Guy!

No comments: